4/03/2011

Thinking - Cycle, Phase and/or Pulses?

So this year I'll try to actually post up my training thoughts through the year. I can't promise I'll respond to comments quickly, but I enjoy so will when I can.

Caution: if your not a seasoned trainee use periodization (see below text or blog posts).

Bullets related to below paragraphs:
-My Winter is all about fun, staying in shape and trying to not get too fat
-This Winter raced/rode the Pug for fun, did gym work with short treadmill running
-Thinking about long rides and events coming up with CYCLES, PHASES and PULSES
-PHASES & PULSES are like the long ride events coming up, all part of CYCLES
-Periodization taking back burner as I'm in shape- big CYCLE blocks worked well last year
-Goal block-n-tackle 5 wks long ride vol. eventually riding like mid-May 100mi MTB race
-Sneak rest week in before mid-May 100mi MTB race (have a better race!)
-Injury Concern: shorter xc racing season needed intensity PULSE/PHASES begin mid-May!
-July and ~Oct/Nov peaks


Below (Early March post) I rambled about CYCLES. It's been a long snowy winter. I rode the Pug 1-3 times a week 1.5-3 hours commuting and/or woods mtb trails (Pug: it's 4 inch ballon tire beach/snow bike). I also did three Pug races Jan & Feb (fun). The bike is heavey, goes over anything and really works the core and upper body while having fun balancing through varied snow conditions. Through Winter I also hit the gym ussually once a week, teadmill and leg exercise maintainance. Winter is all play, fun without focused training thoughts. So by March my goal and thoughts are around longer rides and future plans.

Long rides are totally do-able for me. 2-3 hours good. 4-6+ awesome but harder to find time. 5 years ago a two hour ride hurt like heck early season, now no big deal.

I have a 111 mile hilly gravel race early April (cx bike). I also have a 100 mile mtb race mid-May. The long training rides will get my circulation pathways re-mapped. Also said rides will teach my body how to burn fat, lactate and prepare for harder training. I'm doing another du-athelon late this year and would like to have a better run portion too. The April 111 mi race is about fun yet in itself endurance and force training. A PULSE.

Last year by mid May had had great CYCLES. What I mean is big hours in saddle multiple weeks then a volume rest week or period. This year I'm getting in a few long rides and some good PHASE efforts. PHASE is a multi-day effort where you feel taxed afterward. Last year I think the PHASE kicked my body into toughness, helped me push harder. I worry about injury often and rest thoughout. Prior years perhaps too safe with early season periodization methods. After years of racing I can handle more. Last year I had a good 5 week CYCLE of riding 9+ hours each week ending with mid-May race inclusive. The 5 week period had some good PHASE efforts and two 100 mile PULSE efforts.

Anyway, the point is I'm thinking about CYCLES and when to rest within. Thinking about PHASES of multi-day abuse (gym inclusive, running introduced) and PULSES (which will later go from real long rides to intensity/race pace PULSES). My efforts are related to the long events. I guess the periodization method of i.e. 4, 6, 8 rest, then 6, 8, 10 rest repeat is taking a back burner until race season peak needed. I'll peak compensate mid-season then cx season.

I'll have a few 1 hour races coming up mid-May. They will hurt - injury risk races as not ready and may not be recovered. But the races will introduce intensity pain. The race pace is a bit different than force training (hills and SS) efforts done in later weeks of long ride base.....  that's it for now...

No comments: